Friday 15 March 2019

Final Day of Swimming

It was sad to think it was our last day of Water Safety and Swimming. We were remind that if we are going to jump into a body of water we need to check it first. Do you know how to check it?

  1. Check how deep it is, ask an adult to walk in or use a stick to see if it is deep enough to jump.
  2. Check is there is anything sharp under the water like coral, rocks, glass...
  3. If it is a river or a lake check there are no logs floating by, even if you see a small stick it could be larger log under the water (like an iceberg).


H - Heat
E - Escape
L - Listening
P - Position

If a group of people fall in the water huddle together to help keep you bodies warm. It will also be easier to see a group from the sky (a helicopter), than one person.

When you see a helicopter coming roll onto your backs and hold hands (legs out this time) and kick for 3 seconds (prevent attracting sharks and to draw the attention of the searchers). They will see the big white circle of splashing water.

If you are by yourself cuddle up into the help position with you hands across your heart and hold onto the life jacket, curl your knees up to help keep your body warm. When you hear a helicopter wave an arm. Can you see us in this position?



If someone needs help in the water there are lots of ways to help but remember you need to survive too. So jumping in to help them isn't always best. Instead you should...

Find something that will float and throw it too them. Or even better find a rope or long stick (we used noodles) and hold one end and get them to reach for the other end. Brace yourself then pull you don't want to go into!

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Red Hill School. This is Willie Wayne from Ruapotaka School. That word HELP looks like it could help me with swimming. I wish I could stay safe. Can you teach me to stay safe?
    H-Heat
    E-Escape
    L-Listening
    P-Position

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you can stay safe with the jackets that can inflate.One question, what is the best part of swimming? I am Ocean from Ruapotaka room 9 and year 5.You all look so happy in the photos.Will you be swimming next year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs Mundy and class.I really like your post because it is about safety in the water.Can everyone swim in your class?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a pool at our school. We learn every single day but we don't any more. It is canceled because it is getting colder. Can you teach our class how to swim? 😥😥😥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my name is Iosefo I go to Ruapotaka school and I like how you guys are having fun also I like how you guys have teaching people that can teach you how to swim.It looks like you guys are having fun with the kicking boards and the noodles.What did you guys learn at swimming?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi my name is Shelan I like how you are being safe with the life vests. Why did you wear the life vests ? Thank you for commenting on our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi its me kaulave from ruapotaka school and can see that you guys are playing with the kicking boards and the noodles but I sometimes like playing with those things.I LOVE SWIMMING!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello my name is Ngahuia from Ruapotaka school and I like how you have life vests and when the water is deep you can just wear them. That is a great idea because its water safety. When people can't swim they can just use life vests.Wow great swimming to. Thank you for commenting on our blog.How deep was the water?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello there my name is Solomon. I go Ruapotaka school I loved your guys photos of you swimming.
    It looked like you had loads of fun at Red hill school. Make sure to keep safe in the water.
    When I swim I just sink in the pool cause I don't pull my tummy up.Was the water warm or cold?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello this Sosefina and Emeline from Ruapotaka School. We are really impressed by your swimming skills.We are in room 9 and our teacher is Mrs Honerae.We really enjoyed your swimming and you playing with the noodles.We want to know what you were doing with the noodles and the flutter boards?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why are you all in a circle in your life jackets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This position is called a huddle, it helps us to keep warm and together as a bigger group is easier to see to rescue than lots of people spread out in the ocean.

      Delete

Please remember to be helpful, thoughtful and encouraging.