Monday 6 May 2019

STEM - Straw Aeroplanes

Today our challenge was to make a straw plane. When we first heard this idea we thought we had to make a plane with wings and a tail and it was tricky to understand how it would fly. Then we watched the video.




I like that this strange shape truly flew. I thought it was completely made up and would fail. - Kingston

Making it from a picture was tricky because we had to guess the size of the two circles. I could see that one was smaller than the other, some people didn't notice this and their planes didn't like flying. - Tawhirimatea



Attaching the straws was easy, but making sure they were spread around the circle was tricky as I didn't want to bend the cardboard circles. - Puna

My plane didn't like flying it kept on breaking. I think my fingers ruined the cello-tape and stopped it sticking. - Iroam

2 comments:

  1. Hi Red Hill school what did you guys do to make your straw aeroplane? Was your arm sore when you had to throw it so hard to go far? Which one went the longest distance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As mentioned earlier, the softer you threw the further they went.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to be helpful, thoughtful and encouraging.